BITCON Code of Conduct
BITCON is committed to providing a friendly, safe, and welcoming environment for all, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity, or religion. This code of conduct outlines our expectations for participant behavior as well as the consequences for unacceptable behavior. We invite all sponsors, volunteers, speakers, attendees, exhibitors, and other participants to help us realize a safe and positive conference experience for everyone.
All determinations of appropriate or inappropriate behavior are in BITCON’s sole discretion and the decision of BITCON’s representatives will be final.
- Expected Behavior
The following behaviors are expected and requested of all BITCON attendees, including:
- Exercise consideration and respect in your speech and actions.
- Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech.
- Be mindful of your fellow participants. Alert BITCON staff if you notice violations of this Code of Conduct, even if they seem inconsequential.
- Unacceptable Behavior
The following behaviors are considered harassment and are unacceptable at BITCON and related events:
- Violence, threats of violence, or violent language directed against another person.
- Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
- Posting or displaying sexually explicit or violent material.
- Personal insults, particularly those related to gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, or disability.
- Inappropriate photography or recording.
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following (online or in person).
- Advocating for or encouraging any of the above behavior.
- Sustained disruption of conference events, including talks and presentations.
- Failing to follow or obey any laws or rules of the venue.
- Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
Unacceptable behavior will not be tolerated whether by other attendees, speakers, volunteers, organizers, sponsors, or exhibitors. Anyone asked to stop unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in unacceptable behavior, BITCON staff may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from the conference without warning or refund.
- Reporting Guidelines
If you are subject to or witness unacceptable behavior, or have any other concerns, please notify an BITCON staff member, visit the Blacks In Technology booth on the virtual platform, Hopin, or at email@example.com as soon as possible.
We expect all BITCON participants (attendees and speakers, paid or otherwise; sponsors and exhibitors; and other guests) to abide by this Code of Conduct in all BITCON venues—online and in-person—as well as in all one-on-one communications pertaining to BITCON business.
This code of conduct and its related procedures also applies to unacceptable behavior occurring outside the scope of conference activities when such behavior has the potential to adversely affect the safety and well-being of community members.